Saturday 9 April 2011

Young Operational Research Society Conference


Last Monday I travelled to Nottingham to the Young Operational Research Society Conference.

My main reason for attending was to present a paper on my research concerning a new Multi-Objective Evolutionary Algorithm for Portfolio Optimisation. This took place on the Tuesday Morning and was well received.

However of even greater benefit was the information I picked up from those working in OR about the skills they needed graduates to have. Nowadays it is important that, as well as having good technical skills, graduates also need good interpersonal skills and business awareness. Much of this can be acquired through the group projects we set at Greenwich and our focus, in the second year, on employability.

Many of the people I spoke to were involved in building simulation models. Something I will emphasise when I teach this next year. I took part in a demonstration of a software called SIMUL8 (we will be using this in OR next year). We had to simulate a nightclub and despite the fact that I have never been to one and do not know what Indie music is our team won!

More information about the OR Society can be obtained from: http://www.orsoc.org.uk/orshop/(f3aerozzof4l3o45irqjymax)/orhomepage2.aspx

No comments: